Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Farm Unit

I have finally put up my farm unit on teachers pay teachers.  It's a little ridiculous that it took me so long, since it was done in the spring.  I just had to combine everything into one pdf file, but it is done an I am hoping people will like it.

I love doing the farm unit.  I think it's the Iowa country girl inside me that is excited to share it all with the city kiddos that have no idea of a farm.   I feel like I do some pretty cool things for this unit that I am going to share.  Yes it's August and no where close to farm time, but I thought it would be good timing to share this now when I posted the unit and I'm sure I'll have new stuff from my new class when the farm theme happens again in spring.

In my farm unit I have:
3 different complete the pattern sheets with pieces to go along with the patterns.
Make your own pattern sheet.  That I made 2 and had students use the farm animal counters from Lakeshore to make their own pattern.
Here's a picture of the students trying to make their own pattern.

A farm patterning worksheet for extra practice!

This is one of the 4 barns in my beginning sound game.   There are 4 barns each have a different animal on the barn door.  It also comes with picture cards of pictures that start with the same beginning sound as one of those 4 animals.  You put the barn together and then the students take the picture cards and find the barn that they go into.  The kiddos loved this game!  It was fantastic, because they need to work more with alliteration!
Farm initial letter activity.  Students can use a dry erase, wet erase, or letters to write the initial letter.
(There is a worksheet that goes along with this as well.)
Farm animal writing pages.  Wet erase markers work the best when you laminate the cards.  There is also a worksheet to go along with this.
These are the farm letter cards where students count how many letters are in the word. 


I also used these cards to let students write the words below the cards with magnets.  They really enjoyed doing that.


There is also a rhyming game that goes with the set.  In the barn there are two doors, which you use to put two cards that rhyme.  The kiddos get to choose the words they want to rhyme by using the color cards that go with it.

They really enjoyed playing this game, since they were pretty awesome at rhyming. :-)
This cool worksheet also comes with it.  There are 2 pages for it, but this should give you an idea.  The last thing is a simple creative writing where kids draw what they would be if they lived on a farm.  I encourage the kiddos to try to write what they drew and then I go around and dictate what it is and why they choose it.  Unfortunately I don't have a picture of that sheet.

I hope you like this unit.  Again if you would like to purchase this unit go to my teachers pay teachers site!   Please let me know what you think!  Good or bad.  I would love the feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment